Sunday, February 7, 2010

Doing nothing yet leaving nothing undone

Saturday I went for a walk in the morning.  The sun was out, and it was a beautiful day.  I was chewing a piece of gum, and thinking, as I put it in the baggy in my pocket, what happens to this piece of gum when I throw it away.  How big would the piece of gum be every day, of all of the gum people chew. All of that needs to decompose on the earth.  How about all of the plastic products that we use.  Like the baggy that I put my gum in, in my pocket, thinking I am being responsible by bringing a baggy, and not throwing it on the ground.  It is all going to be somewhere decomposing on the earth eventually, so why do I need a baggy to throw it in.  Then I thought of all of the plastic storage items we use, and how could we/I make more responsible choices.  Then I got to thinking of the products I use, with my hygiene, like soap, hair care, make up, cleaning items, etc...  Perhaps I should use more natural products.  Things that break down without harming the environment, and  use responsible packaging.  This walk lasted over 2 hours, because I was in deep thought, and having a nice time too.  I took a lot of pictures.  The sun was shining.  It was cold out, but I was warm.  Dan was waiting back at home for me, as we were going to the Red Robin for my "free" birthday burger, and we had also gotten a gift certificate for Christmas to use.  He was a little concerned   because I was taking so long. I got back to the house around 12:15, and I showered, and dressed and was ready to go by 12:35.  I am fast!!  We split a burger, and had onion rings.  It was a good day.  Then we watched 2 movies.  "Driving Miss Daisy", and "21".  We enjoyed them both.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness!!! It sounds like you had an incredibly good day. What was the temperature as you were walking??? It appears you are wearing no jacket. All of your thoughts are good ones. Trying to be organic and earth friendly is always a good goal. How do you think you will continue to change your 'unearthly' habits ?

It sounds like you had a good birthday dinner as well. Red Robin is always delicious! And the fact that you got a free burger is TOP! I have never seen Driving Miss Daisy, but I hear it is a must! How did you like 21?

My Wonderland said...

Is "top" Molly!? Haha. Nice. NICE British English.

I completely relate to your thoughts regarding organic and bio friendly products. We've recently decided to buy more Organic foods. However, I think it's even MORE important to try to grow or produce your own products (food, compost, etc) and it's neat that soon you'll be doing that. That'll decrease your carbon footprint even more so.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday burger and the movies ;) An excellent compliment to good company.