Friday, March 19, 2010

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag

I will explain the choice of pictures I have chosen for this post.  The first picture is of some cookies I made for Silas to eat.  I made them with 1/2 whole wheat flour, and I put in a lot of flax seed, wheat bran, and less sugar than usual, and some honey, maple syrup, and I chopped up dark chocolate and added ground pecans.  I I also added sunflower seeds.!!   They are delicious in chocolate chunck cookies!  They were quite tastey, at least Dan and I sure thought so.  I did make enough for us to have some too of course.  The second picture is myself with my jar of homemade granola.  I am making it now with hemp seed, flax seed, and coconut oil, maple syrup, and other good stuff.
Don't I look happy to have made it!  :)   The third picture is of me and my friend Myrna.  I thought I had erased these pics, but obviously did not.  
This week has been espesially nice, weather wise.  We have had days in the 60 degrees.  Tomorrow we are to get snow, but it will not last long, so we will watch it, and enjoy it.  It will be warmer and sunny already by Sunday.  
Currently I have a pizza crust rising on the kitchen counter.  It is whole wheat, and we really enjoy this recipe.  We will be eating it wthin an hour!!  I have set the bowl on a heating pad, to make it rise quickly.  Dan is preparing the toppings for it.  We will put peppers, onions, feta, olives, mushrooms, and tomatoes, and other things that Dan will come up with- it will be good. 
Dan is preparing the seeds for the garden.  Many of them need to be started right away in our house,so that they will be the right size to put out in the ground, at the correct time.  That will take up a lot of his weekend.  These fruits and vegetables will all be worth the work when they do "produce".  There is nothing better than food that is that fresh. 
I finished reading a book titled "In defence of Food".  By Michael Pollan.  It was another good book by him.  It is well researched and discusses many questions that everybody who eats food  (which is all of us)  need to consider when we feed ourselves.  Eating is something that should be done with pleasure, and for health, and done thoughtfully by educating yourself.  I recommend this book, and any that he has written.  I recently read "Omnivoe's Dilemna", writen by him, and it was excellent too. 
Time to go finish making the pizza!!

3 comments:

My Wonderland said...

Love the pictures. You and Myrna are such cute friends. Man, that granola sounds SO good. Thankfully I've been savoring the batch you sent last weekend. I'm hoping to stretch it through at LEAST Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to seeing the garden progress. Take pics of the stages, eh ?

Does Silas like granola quite a bit or something or are you just hoping he'll eat it ?

Anonymous said...

I posted a comment to this blog a while ago ???? Why in the world did it not show. ...Anyway, I love the picture of you with the granola. You look so pretty :) The glass jar looks really cool! And I would love to eat some of that yummy stuff.

I think it's so cool that you and dad are planning a garden. I can't wait to see pictures..and definitely take pictures of the progress as Amy suggested !!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.